Yesterday, the household of Gabrielle Petito met with the FBI on the Tampa Subject Workplace as the investigation can be closed within the close to future.
“All logical investigative steps have been concluded on this case,” mentioned FBI Denver Division Particular Agent in Cost Michael Schneider. “The investigation didn’t establish every other people apart from Brian Laundrie straight concerned within the tragic dying of Gabby Petito. The FBI’s main focus all through the investigation was to carry justice to Gabby and her household. The general public’s position in serving to us on this endeavor was invaluable because the investigation was coated within the media world wide. On behalf of the FBI, I wish to specific my deepest appreciation to the general public for the 1000’s of suggestions that have been offered through the investigation, and to our native, state and federal legislation enforcement companions for his or her work all through the investigation.”
The FBI opened its investigation into the disappearance of Ms. Petito on September 12, 2021, upon receiving studies from Gabby’s household that Ms. Petito was lacking. The FBI, working with federal, state and native officers, organized a search of a distant space throughout the Grand Teton Nationwide Park and the Bridger-Teton Nationwide Forest.
On September 19, 2021, the search crew positioned the stays of Ms. Petito on the Unfold Creek Dispersed Tenting Space close to the place she and Brian Laundrie had been seen collectively. Ms. Petito was discovered roughly three weeks after her final identified communication. The Teton County Coroner’s Workplace subsequently concluded Ms. Petito died of “blunt-force accidents to the top and neck, with handbook strangulation.” Whereas legislation enforcement investigated all logical leads, the investigation shortly targeted on the final individual believed to see her alive—Mr. Laundrie.
The next is a timeline of the investigation:
- The FBI investigation revealed that, between August 30 and September 1, 2021, Mr. Laundrie had used Ms. Petito’s debit card with out authorization on his drive again to Florida from Wyoming.
- After Ms. Petito’s dying, there have been a number of textual content messages recognized between Mr. Laundrie’s phone and Ms. Petito’s phone. The timing and content material of those messages are indicative of Mr. Laundrie making an attempt to deceive legislation enforcement by giving the impression that Ms. Petito was nonetheless alive.
- On September 15, 2021, Mr. Laundrie’s Ford Mustang was recovered from the T. Mabry Carlton Jr. Memorial Reserve and Myakkahatchee Creek Park in North Port, Florida.
- On September 17, 2021, Mr. Laundrie’s dad and mom reported him lacking shortly after legislation enforcement carried out a welfare test at their residence.
- On September 18, 2021, legislation enforcement officers commenced an in depth search of the park the place Mr. Laundrie’s car was parked and didn’t find Mr. Laundrie. The world the place Mr. Laundrie’s stays have been later discovered was a part of this search space, however the space was submerged as a result of current flooding on the time of this preliminary search.
- On September 22, 2021, the U.S. District Court docket for the District of Wyoming issued a federal arrest warrant for Mr. Laundrie. The warrant was issued pursuant to a Federal Grand Jury indictment for violation of federal statute 18 U.S.C. § 1029(a)(1): “Use of Unauthorized Entry Units” associated to Mr. Laundrie’s actions following the dying of Ms. Petito.
- On October 7, 2021, after legislation enforcement made a request by way of Laundrie household legal professional Steven Bertolino, the Laundries offered private results to legislation enforcement which have been for use to help within the search of the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park.
- On October 20, 2021, after water had receded from the world and the park was reopened, Mr. Bertolino notified legislation enforcement that Mr. Laundrie’s dad and mom supposed to return to the park to seek for Mr. Laundrie. Regulation enforcement officers have been current when Mr. Laundrie’s dad and mom positioned an merchandise within the park later decided to belong to Mr. Laundrie.
- Upon additional search of the world, investigators discovered human stays later confirmed to be Mr. Laundrie, together with a backpack, pocket book, and a revolver. A evaluation of the pocket book revealed written statements by Mr. Laundrie claiming accountability for Ms. Petito’s dying.
- On November 23, 2021, the District 12 Medical Examiner’s Workplace in Sarasota, Florida, launched its report on the way and reason behind dying of Mr. Laundrie. The report concluded Mr. Laundrie died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
The FBI thanks all of the legislation enforcement businesses concerned within the investigation together with the Nationwide Park Service, U.S. Forest Service, Teton County Sheriff’s Workplace, Teton County Search and Rescue, Jackson Police Division, Suffolk County Sheriff’s Workplace, Northport Police Division, Pasco County Sheriff’s Workplace, Sarasota County Sheriff’s Workplace, Sarasota Police Division, Lee County Sheriff’s Workplace, Brevard County Sheriff’s Workplace, Florida Division of Regulation Enforcement, and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Fee.